|[Source:The Ohio State University]|
Campus Life as an International Student at OSU
The Ohio State University’s main Columbus campus is one of America’s largest and most comprehensive. More than 55,000 students select from 14 colleges, 175 undergraduate majors, and 240 master’s, doctoral, and professional degree programs. As Ohio’s best and one of the nation’s top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center.
The university’s total research expenditures in 2009 topped $716 million, ranking Ohio State 13th nationally, second in industry research, and ninth among public universities, according to the National Science Foundation. The university’s innovative prowess attains world-class status, particularly in critical areas such as global climate change, cancer, infectious disease, advanced materials, and ag-bio products that feed and fuel the world.
|Programs/Degrees (as of 2011-12)|| |
|Undergraduate enrollment by select colleges/schools (Fall 2012)|| |
19:1 student-faculty ratio
|Student Body (Fall 2012)|| |
Total student population: 63,058
Total international student population: 6,032
The Ohio State University
Living in Columbus, Ohio as an International Student
In Columbus, you will enjoy attractions, cultural events, the arts, dining, sports and shopping that is on par with many larger cities but is situated in an affordable Midwestern setting. In fact, Money magazine ranked Columbus as the sixteenth best largest city in 2012. The cost of living is comparatively low for all that is available to you in Columbus. Second only to Boston in terms of the number of college students, Columbus is a youthful town; nearly half the population falls within the 18-44 age group. A strong tie to the university means great research, internship, service, and job opportunities for Ohio State students.
- Academic support and tutoring
- Career exploration and preparation
- Commuter and off-campus resources
- Counseling and wellness
- Disability services
- First Year Experience
- Planning for college
- Support for a diverse community
Residence Life and Housing Services
- 34 Columbus campus residence halls
- 12 off-campus housing units (Columbus)
- More than 25 food service locations on Columbus campus
- Seven Columbus campus health, wellness, and student success facilities: Recreation and Physical Activity Center (RPAC); Adventure Recreation Center (ARC); Jesse Owens Recreation Centers North, South, and West; Wilce Student Health Center; and Younkin Success Center
- Six Columbus campus event centers: the Ohio Union, the Jerome Schottenstein Center, the Blackwell Inn, Royer Student Activity Center, the Fawcett Center, and the Drake Performance and Event Center
*Applicants for on-campus housing are strongly encouraged to apply early and to contact University Housing prior to arrival.
There are many types of housing available near campus and farther away. You may want to talk with other students from your country about their recommendations for housing. A directory of student organizations is posted on the Ohio Union website. Search by "Ethnic/Cultural" to see if your country or region of the world has a nationality club.
Links & Resources
- The Ohio State University Website
- Office of International Affairs
- International Undergraduate Admissions at OSU
- Graduate Admissions at OSU
- Office of Student Life
- Fisher College of Business at OSU