Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Financial Documents You'll Need for the U.S. Student Visa

If you've been accepted to a U.S. university and now need to get your student visa, WES Advisor is here to help! Now that you have been admitted, the U.S. university should have provided you with an I-20 form. You'll need to get your financial documents together to successfully pass the visa interview. In our latest video blog, we've explained some of the common financial documents that you'll be asked to show depending on how you plan to fund your studies.

Read more blog posts that might interest you:
Hi, I’m Mary from WES Advisor and I’m here to give you an overview about the financial documents you need to get together for your F-1 Visa Interview. You’ll need these documents in order to prove that you have adequate financial resources to fund your study abroad. Getting these documents together and preparing for the F1 student visa interview can be a stressful experience. But WES Advisor is here to help you.

When applying to universities in the U.S. many admissions offices will request that you submit a financial document with your application. After you are admitted, the university will then provide you with a document known as the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or I-20 for short.

If you look in section 7 of the I-20 form provided, you will see the amount of funding you must have available to cover your first year expenses. This includes tuition and fees, living expenses, expenses of dependents and other expenses. You must be able to prove that you have immediate funds available to cover this amount.

In addition to the I-20, check with the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country for recommendations of other financial documents to provide. Types of financial documents can vary among countries so your local U.S. embassy will know best. However here are some of the possibilities.

You may need to collect some of your parents or sponsors financial documents. These could include their original bank records and tax returns from the past three years. You may also need to get their pay slips, employment letters and chartered accountant statements.

Have you have received a scholarship, fellowship, assistantship, grant or loan? Congratulations! However it is necessary for you to provide a confirmation letter or form that financial aid will be available as long as the program is pursued.

If you have taken a loan from a bank to cover your tuition, please take with you the official documents which verify the loan approval, not just the application.

If you are financially supported by an individual in the U.S., you will need to carry with you a notarized I-134 form along with 3 years of that individual’s bank statements and tax returns.

Paying the tuition expense in advance is a good way to show proof of funds, but remember - it is NOT a requirement to pay in advance.

This may seem like a lot but don’t get overwhelmed. Keep all the different papers and forms organized. Good luck and make sure to tell us how it all went by leaving us a comment below!


  1. It’s really a great topic selected by you to discuss over here. Sometime it’s difficult to get approval on visa. Lot of people discuss such things online and try to find out solution for the same so sharing such things which relate to visa, can really help people.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Working Visa Australia

  2. Hello,

    I got offer from one of US company, they told me that they will be paying all the visa processing fee and travels, but Indian Visa team asking me to send 1000$ Demand draft payable at "PAR"

    The reason for Demand draft, US Embassy will see the financial status and they will hold my money until I get the VISA

    Is it true, please help me with your feedback.


  3. I got an offer from US company as they told they will be paying all the payments for visa and travel,

    India visa consultant asking me to send Demand draft worth 1500$ payable at PAR

    Reason for Demand draft US embassy will hold the money for person financial status check is it true, can I trust the visa consultant.

    Please advise

  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  5. Hi, my daughter visa is going to expire soon in a month from now. She is an L2 visa. How long to process F1 visa? Would still be okey to apply her in this time? What are other options to do?

    1. WES AdvisorMay 02, 2017

      Hello, we cannot give you an exact time frame as to how long it will take to obtain an F1 student visa because every circumstance is different. The best thing to do would be to read up on the visa requirements on the U.S. government website to see how long it could take in your daughter's circumstance:

  6. hi,, im joses, i just want to ask you a question about the application, what should i do if i dont have credit cards,to payup my application, then ill apply for your scholarship,and your admission. who should up those reqirements....


Comments posted on may be moderated.

Like us on Facebook for exclusive content from U.S. Admissions Experts!