Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Traveling on an F-1 Student Visa

By Naimeesha Murthy
World Education Services

Thinking about traveling outside the U.S. or visiting your family over summer break? Before you pack your bags, make sure to have all your documents in order. Listed below are the most important documents required to protect your F-1 status.

Travel signature on your I-20

Before you book your tickets and start making all the grand plans, ensure you have a valid travel signature from your university on your I-20. You will not be able to re-enter the United States without one.

Make sure your I-20 is up to date

If there have been any changes in your situation (for example, change in degree/major) that are not indicated on your current I-20, you will need to get a new one. Work with your international student office to request a new and updated I-20.

Make sure your I-20 does not expire while you're out of the country

Check your validity date on your I-20 to see whether it is about to expire. If it expires while you are outside the U.S., you will not be able to re-enter the U.S.

When your extension is approved, a new I-20 will be printed and signed for travel. NOTE: Updated financial documentation will be required to process your new I-20.

Documents to carry for stamping:

  • Official transcripts
  • Enrollment certificate issued by university
  • Valid I-20 
  • Current financial documentation: documents indicating the source(s) and amount(s) of financial support for your study in the current academic year. This must match the information listed on your I-20.

Have more questions related to your travel? Click here to read more FAQs.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 23, 2015

    awesome thank you for the above information..


Comments posted on wesstudentadvisor.org may be moderated.

Like us on Facebook for exclusive content from U.S. Admissions Experts!