By Jordan Friedman
World Education Services
At Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., international students receive ample support and encouragement through a variety of services and resources available both on campus and online.
According to Hamilton’s International Student Services website, international students hail from 40 different countries and make up 7 percent of the Class of 2019. Through its English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program, Hamilton offers classes for academic credit as well as one-on-one tutoring for students who are adjusting to completing their education in a second language. Other services such as the Writing Center offer assistance with writing in English.
International students can also sign up for the International Friendship Program (IFP), in which residents of Clinton help them acclimate to life in the United States. For instance, an IFP volunteer might greet an international student at the airport or train station upon his or her arrival, attend an opening kickoff event with him or her, and occasionally invite the student to holidays or meals at their home.
- English language requirement: You must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores unless you have studied at a school with a curriculum in English for at least three full years, have a SAT verbal/critical reading score of higher than 700, are taking A-1 IB English, or are taking Cambridge A-level English exams.
- Common Application: You must submit a Common Application and answer the Hamilton-specific questions. The application also includes a $50 fee, counselor evaluation, teacher evaluation in a major academic subject, a personal essay, and an official high school transcript.
- Standardized test scores: You may submit SAT scores (the essay is optional), ACT scores, or three individual exams of your choice, which may include sections taken from the SAT, SAT subject tests, ACT Writing, AP scores or IB final exams. You are encouraged to submit all of your scores, and Hamilton will choose the best ones for you. You can read more about this here.
- International Student Certification of Finances: View here.
- International Admission: Frequently Asked Questions
- Financial Aid for International Students
- International Student Services: Support for International Students
- International Friendship Program
- Support for International Students
• Founded: 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy; chartered 1812 as Hamilton College
• Location: Clinton, N.Y. (in central New York state)
By the Numbers
• Acceptance Rate: 25 percent
• Enrollment: 1,850 students
• Diversity: 45 states, 47 countries represented
• Faculty: 191 full-time
• Class Size: 30 percent have nine students or fewer
• Student-Faculty Ratio: 9-1
• Areas of Study: 51
• Size of Campus: 1,350 acres
Class of 2019
• 475 students
• 48 percent men; 52 percent women
• 7 percent non-U.S. citizen
• 25 percent students of color from U.S.
• Tuition: $49,010
• Room: $6,870
• Board (Meals): $5,700
• Student Activity Fee: $470
• Allen Harrison Jr.
International Student Advisor/Associate Dean of Students for Multicultural Affairs and Accessibility Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Barbara Britt-Hysell
Coordinator/Instructor/Tutor for English for Speakers of Other Languages Program, email@example.com
• Office of Admission: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Office of Financial Aid: email@example.com